Monday, June 8, 2009

This Won't Win Me Many Fans.



A friend of mine posted an article on Facebook today that was pretty critical of Oprah. I liked it. I thought the article was pretty interesting, and though it's probably flying in the face of wisdom to say this-had some very good points. Basically, the idea talked about Oprah's choice of "experts" when people come on to present ideas that may directly impact people's health. The majority of the article referred to Suzanne Somers and her ideas about hormone replacement therapy. For those of you who don't know, or won't believe this, Suzanne Somers has now styled herself as an expert of menopause, and is giving medical advice, claiming to use natural ways of rejuvenating herself through some controversial therapies. Yep, Chrissy Snow from Three's Company.

I've always felt two ways about Oprah. On the one hand, she was amazing in The Color Purple. She also has constantly brought things that interest me into the light on her show. I remember seeing Shirley Maclaine talking about chakras on the Oprah show so long ago, I'm embarrassed to say. I remember her having topics on her show that were uplifting, and I always think of her as someone who generally takes the high road.

I've also thought she oversteps her bounds, and uses her influence to promote ideas that are not necessarily beneficial. She probably does think she's helping people, but many times, I just think she comes across looking stupid, and easily influenced, as well as prejudicial against the "establishment." Which is fine. I'm not necessarily someone who agrees with everything that comes out of a doctor's mouth just because it's coming out of a doctor's mouth, and I really HATE to take prescription drugs. I also believe there is a mind/soul/body connection, and that attitude, faith, and more practical things like healthy diet have a lot more to do with your wellness than most medicine does.

But, I digress. Oprah. Wielding her endorsement like a sword. "Read this book. Vote for this man. Don't get vaccinated. Shoot hormones into your vagina. Don't worry about what your Doctor may say. I do. Suzanne Summers does it, and look at us! We're awesome! Yep, I have a doctor on my show, but conveniently, he doesn't really usually disagree with my guests."

So. Basically, before you take medical advice from a talk-show host, why don't you check with a doctor? Why don't you use common sense and ask someone who has actually studied medicine, and biology? A doctor who doesn't have her interest in getting her own tv show produced by Oprah at stake? And then form your own opinions.

I'm NEVER one to take things at face value. I have some of my own ideas that run contrary to western medicine. But I keep them to myself. I'm not willing to put anyone else's life or health at risk for my benefit.

I've also seen a lot of people take responsibility for their own well-being and accomplish miracles. But again, that is a choice that is right for some people, not all people. Do what works for you.

Don't hate me. Think for yourself. Don't let Oprah do all your thinking for you. She's awesome and all, but she is as prone to mistakes as the rest of us. Ask yourself if you're really ready to trust Oprah and Suzanne Somers with the well-being of your physical body???

Don't hate me, ya'll. Just trying to keep it real.

See below:
http://www.newsweek.com/id/183842








f

No comments:

Post a Comment