Monday, April 20, 2009

Yoga Teacher? You???

I always am interested in the reactions people have (especially people I'm re-connecting with
on Facebook) when I tell them I'm a yoga teacher now. Because I spent my twenties in a series
of awkward relationships, and in a swirl of irresponsible financial decisions and hard partying, people assume that I can't possibly be a yoga teacher now. Also, I eat meat, and like rock and roll, and don't really like for "new age" music.

I think the stereotype people have of yoga teachers is a result of the image that some yoga teachers tend to perpetuate--they talk in soft voices, and pretend to be in some preternaturally blissful state, smiling beatifically, and gazing at you as if you're a mere mortal, and they no longer fart because they're a yoga teacher. I'm pretty down-to-earth most of the time, and though I'm really interested in spirituality, I like to wear jeans, cowboy boots, and t-shirts, I really enjoy some trashy 80's rock and roll blasted really loud, and I might meet you after yoga class for a cocktail. Yes, I may rock some mala beads on my arm from time to time-but they are there because I use them....I just won't make you chant along with me. I'd much rather make you smile in my class by blasting some Madonna, or an old Journey song in the middle of a sweaty flow. I don't talk in a soft voice, I don't try to let my tone get all "mystical", and I will never pretend that yoga makes me blisssful all the time. It doesn't. But it does remind me to take a deep breath before I yell at the douchebag talking at the top of his lungs in an empty restaurant, and it does help me to turn frustration or anger into positive action.

I love yoga teachers. I just don't like people who make promises they can't keep, or pretend to be something they aren't. I don't believe that you can solve all your problems by coming to a couple of yoga classes, nor do I think it's great to meditate constantly in order to clear your head of worldly distractions. We are in this world, baby, and we have to be able to function in it! Most of us aren't monks, and the bills have to get paid, you know?

The people who come to my class come because they're looking for the real thing. They aren't looking to "purify" themselves. They want to live life, and feel good about the choices they make, and I want to help them anyway I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment